Thursday, May 17, 2012

Our Night Weaning Journey: Night 5



 Night 5 already?! It Feels like we just started this journey, but at the same time, it feels so normal it's like we have been doing this forever.

 Don't misinterpret that last statement as 'this is going so smoothly it feels like air' or anything crazy like that. No, it has not been completely smooth sailing thus far. Take night 5 for example, last night was a little more like our nights before we started night weaning 19 month old Mackynzie.

 Bedtime went smoothly. We did our routine as usual, had a good walk together (we even got caught in the rain), and she went to sleep at about eight o'clock. I went to bed at 10:30, and was hoping for another one-night wake up. She ended up waking up 3 times, with one potty break. The last wake up at about 5am was probably the most challenging. She was really angry with me this morning and was trying to flop off the bed.  Picture me lunging around trying to prevent her from flying off the bed into the miscellaneous objects that have yet to be unpacked... While half asleep... Not much fun. I finally got her to settle by laying her on my chest, but the goal of these next few days is to lay her down awake, so every time I would lay her down she would freak out again. She fell asleep a few times, but would wake only a few minutes later and we would have to start from square one. This went on until 6, when I nursed her and she fell asleep. When I tried to put her down (At this point, I was pretty eager to get my last little bit of sleep.) I couldn't. she would clench up and suction her little body against mine. I waited until she was more soundly asleep, and was able to lay her beside me. She ended up sleeping until 9am, so that was a perk.
 It WAS really hot yesterday, so our house was uncomfortably warm at bedtime. I am thinking that could have had something to do with the extra wake ups.

She woke happy, but because of the late wake up, she wasn't tired for her usual 10-11am nap. A friend of mine came over to visit for the day, so she wound up passing out at the breast at about 2pm, and sleeping on the couch until I woke her at 3:30.  I am a little nervous for tonight because of the late sleeping, but she didn't go to bed too difficultly. It took me about 20-30 mins to settle her and nurse her to sleep. I will be heading to bed in an hour or so, so I guess we will all know tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment