Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Our Journey Into Night Weaning: Night 3



For some odd reason, I am having a really hard time remembering last night. I have no idea why. Maybe it's because we had a busy day and I was really tired when i went to bed, so my memory of last night is just heavy with sleep.

We woke up from night 2 and scurried around to get ready to spend the day at the zoo with friends. It was a hot day, and it was also our first time going with no carrier or stroller. Mackynzie is now old enough to walk the zoo on her own (when did that happen?). When we got home, we had lots to keep us busy and with the dogs being home alone all day, they needed a big walk in the evening. Mackynzie didn't get her typical morning nap, but she slept in the car both ways. All of those things combined left one tired little girl come bed time. Over tired. To the point where she didn't think she was tired anymore.

After doing our night time thing, I brought her into bed after I read her some stories (Cody had a really hard day at work, so he went to bed at about 6. that didn't help because when she couldn't get comfortable she wanted him to come help her.). I nursed her, but she just couldn't settle. we spent an hour switching from breast to almond milk, rubbing and massaging her back and feet, laying in every possible direction and position on the bed, moving to her own bed, moving back to our bed where she finally said yes to nursing and fell asleep. For the past few weeks (before the move) she has been saying no to nursing sometimes, when I offer at her usual nursing times. Last night was the first night (as far as I can remember) that she had said no to nursing at bed time after her first session. Cody woke up to grab something to eat, we talked for a couple minutes and I went to bed a couple minutes before 11pm.

 I don't remember looking at the time when she woke up, but i assume it was between 12:30 and 3am. from what remember, she woke up kind of grumpy, and got pretty mad when she asked, and I said "boobies all done.".  After refusing water or cuddles for a couple of minutes, she drank some water and I was able to bounce her back to sleep on my chest within what I can only assume was about 20 minutes. She woke shortly after 6am again, and nursed back to sleep until about 6:45, when she nursed again and then woke up.

  Not a bad night. I think we were both just really tired from our long day and we also got a lot of sun, so when bedtime came, we slept really solidly, but at the same time it wasn't the most restful sleep. I am tired today. Its one of those heavy tired's though. Like when you fall into a solid dreamless sleep and wake up feeling like you are wearing body weights.

The first 3 nights have past, and we are on to the next set of 3 nights. Honestly, I am a bit nervous for tonight. Part of me is confident though, since I haven't had to nurse her at all during her night wakings, so that's just one less thing to remove tonight. All in all, I am just planning to go enjoy the beautiful day ahead and the hot weather, and take advantage of the amount of sleep i have had under my belt from the past three nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment